Monday, April 4, 2011

MIXTAPE MONDAYS: DJ MamaBear

This week's entry for "Mixtape Mondays" is called "Live At Hotline" by my homegirl from The Bay, DJ Mamabear. This mix was recorded live on 3-29-11 at her weekly Tuesday party called Hotline at Otis Lounge in SF. This mixtape has a great collection of R&B hits like "Brown Sugar" by D'Angelo, "Groove Thang" by Zhane & "Think Of You" by Amerie & also forgotten classics like "Number One" by Patrice Rushen & one hit wonders like "I Choose You" by Confection. What's so unique about this mixtape is that Mamabear recorded it live & spun everything on vinyl, which is absolutely unheard of this day and age of laptops & Serato. I had the opportunity to spin with Mamabear a couple of months ago when I was in San Diego doing my boy DJ Beatnick's party at Bar Dynamite. Not only was she playing classic R&B & Hip Hop joints at this party but she was doing it on vinyl & that totally blew me away. If you're ever in San Francisco, you can catch Mamabear at her Hotline party or Double Dutch at Side 2 Side, every third Thursday of the month. Many thanks to Mamabear for providing us with this week's entry. I'm looking forward to hearing more mixes in the future. Enjoy Knyewtrons...Neva

No comments: