Monday, March 23, 2009

MIXTAPE MONDAYS: DJ Roctakon

This week's entry for Mixtape Mondays is an incredible mix of oldschool classics, funk and soul called "The Good Life" and can be considered a staple here at KNYEW. Every time we play it at the shop, I get atleast 2-3 requests for the CD. My boy DJ Roctakon aka Andy Brown made this mixtape a few years back when we were all spinning on vinyl, carrying 4-5 crates to gigs, digging 2-3 times a week and spending anywhere from $500-800 a month buying records. I remember hearing Roc at this club "Happy Valley" in New York around 3am on a Friday night in 2004. All the male busboys, barbacks and bartenders were shirtless, almost butt naked, wearing tightie whities with rollerskates on and the dj booth was incased in a big giant disco ball...soooo gay. Ofcourse, who did I see spinning in the giant disco ball but Mr. Andy Brown who was just killing it with reggae, classics and soul. The crowd was going bananas, the energy was amazing and they were all vibing to awesome music like Luther Vandross, Frankie Beverly, Maze and Mcfadden & Whitehead. Roc is one of the most knowledgable and technically flawless club dj's in the biz and he's one of the most passionate, hardworking and sincerest guys I know (almost too sincere...borderline asshole on occasion, lol). Thanks to Roc for the download and check out "The Good Life" yall...

Video Chat Sessions...that's me & DJ Sean Perry on the left & Roctakon lying in bedIf that wasn't gay enough, here we all are again, topless with my ass on the crapper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whats up Andy! Its Ed Culler, from like 10 years ago, I remeber going to parties with you and Eli and others back then when I was getting into painting trains! idk If u remember me or not but I just wanted to say I saw your page and gave you a listen. I gotta say I miss the oldschool hiphop, but mabey I just need to listen more... anyway, glad your still rockin! keep it up man!